I know, the hot topic of conversation. The one thing we women feel like we are doomed with forever.
Firstly, before we begin we must acknowledge that 85-95% of women have cellulite! Yes, even those tight and toned women that you see on social media. Infact, it quite rare to meet someone who doesn’t have it
What is cellulite?
In a nutshell, the apperaenace of cellulite come from pockets of fat trapped between connective tissue that push against the skin.
Why oh why do we get it?
- lack of blood flow
- excess fat
- accumulation of toxins
- sleep deprivation
- lack of finer
- not adequately hydrated
now for the juicy bit……
How to get rid of cellulite
yes thats right. You can actually remove cellulite! However, unless your diet is 100% amazing 100% of the time and you exercise regularly, control stress, live a non toxic life and live in a cave (well not the last one). Then it is difficult to remove it completely forever.
The good news is that we can DRAMATICALLY reduce the appearance
#1 Strength Train
Add strength training to your workout, aiming for 2-3 times per week for maximum results. Strength training increases muscle tone while decreasing body fat.
Are all good basic exercises to get started. Alternatively try this dumbbell sculpt session for thighs, abs and butt
#2 Do Cardio
In order to minimise the appearance of cellulite we must increase blood flow around our body.
And forget slogging it out on the treadmill, you can do this by simply walking more.
Tips for walking more:
- Set an alarm for every hour. When the alarm goes off, take a 2-3 minute break to stretch and move around
- Walk for 15 minutes, twice per day (thats only 7.5 minutes walking out, 7.5 minutes walking back home)
#3 Dry Body Brush
Dry body brushing increases blood flow and boosts the lymphatic system
- Use before showering
- Use upwards strokes towards the heart
- Be gentle on sensitive areas (ouch)
#4 Get a Massage
Probably the best tip of this post. Aim for a DEEP tissue massage if possible.
- At home, have a DIY massage with coconut oil or sesame oil. Try this therapeutic daily massage recommended in ayurvedic medicine
#5 Cleanse Your Liver
Believe it or not, your liver is one super powerful organ for assisting with fat loss!
Foods great for liver health include:
#6 Eat Antioxidant Rich Foods
Antioxidants breaks down fat cells and boosts circulation. Foods high in antioxidants include:
- Goji berries
#7 Include Cruciferous Vegetables
They repair damage in your cells. Eat eat eat…
- Bok Choi
- Brussel Sprouts
- Green leafy vegetables
#8 Increase Fiber
There are mountains of studies that show the benefits of a high fiber diet. In this case think of fiber as a viechle for transporting bad toxins out your body.
ALL plant foods contain fiber! If you are unsure include these in you’re diet:
- Beans & lentils
- Grains & starches
- Nuts & Seeds
- Fruit & Vegetables
#9 Drink A LOT of Water
Preferably still. Even better if you add lemon slices for an extra detox boost. Aim for at least half a gallon and sip regularly throughout the day.
water helps transports the fiber and waste out of the body and boosts metabolism.
Need some inspiration. Check out these tasty detox water recipes
#10 Include healthy Fats
The right kind of fats are full of vitamins that are amazing for firmer, plumper and smoother skin. Include good fats such as:
Foods That Encourage Cellulite
- Bad fats are saturated and trans saturated fats. These are found in processed foods and animal produce
- Caffeine & carbonated sugary drinks
- Red meat
Make sure you DO NOT
- eat crappy processed foods
- eight ‘beige’ food – focus on colour for a diet rich with antioxidants
- ‘forget’ to drink enough water – or do not drink any water (gasp)
- sit all day at work and then sit down all night to watch TV
while I don’t recommend people to take a cocktail of supplements. There are some natural and herbal ones that are excellent for cellulite
On a final note..
As women we are so critical of ourselves. Just because we have cellulite it doesn’t change who we are, kind, compassionate & natururing beings. Lets embrace some of our flaws, it would be boring if we were all the same, agree?
Latest posts by Holistically Lizzie (see all)
- 30 proven health benefits of apple cider vinegar (& how to use it) – March 14, 2018
- Easy no-oil hummus (high protein) – March 12, 2018
- 10 foods that supercharge fertility (& healthy, vegan recipes) – March 6, 2018